10/7/09

One Step Forward

I haven't really been a person who needs acclaim. I'm not really a person who looks to make my way up a corporate ladder either. But sometimes it's nice to just hear that the work you do matters. That it means something to someone. That you've helped just one person. That maybe along the way that you matter.

I've been feeling insiginifcant lately. And it's affected the way I do my work. I still try and do a good job. But really feeling insiginifcant doesn't help the drive to succeed.

In 2002 I was voted "most valuable player" by the sales field, and lately I'm lucky if they even know I exist. That's a little demoralizing.

Also seemingly everyone I've worked with over the years has made significant leaps up the corporate ladder and I have been told that I need to prove myself more...do something more...to get even a small promotion and yet I still think that I work pretty darn hard.

Today I officially heard that maybe my work matters. In this world where people are being layed-off and salaries are being frozen I am overjoyed that the work I do bring to the desk every day has been recognized.

I'm also happy to still have family and friends to share these small victories. I'm not really supposed to say anything at work about this until they announce it in November and really while I wanted to shout it from the rooftop I did keep it quiet. I found though its not as fun to come home to an empty house to "celebrate" as it used to be.

What I do need to find is some gratitude. In this world of people losing their jobs and salaries being frozen I'm glad that I have a manager who decided I was worth fighting for. There is some small victory in that.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome news, Tina!!!! It's long overdue!!!

Bridget said...

YEAH!!!!