10/12/09

Insurance

So my employer is changing insurance plans yet again. And going to a cafeteria style plan instead of everyone getting the same thing we now have a "choice". The thing about this is that really aside from the last year and a half battle with inner ear woes and mono I've been relatively healthy. I really haven't had a cavity and my vision has stayed pretty much the same. However in looking over the plans I realized that really the difference between being fully covered and maybe being covered by having to pay a higher deductible was really only saving me $12.00 a paycheck. When I think about $12.00 that is just so insignificant of an amount to "save" and spin the roulette wheel of luck and hope that I stay healthy or have to pay a higher percent of doctors, hospital stay etc.

I've seen the hospital bills from what my dad has had to pay. I've seen what it cost me to ride an ambulance eight blocks that time I had a panic attack at work and they couldn't find my pulse and sent me to the ER.

In an instant $12.00 seems like a small amount to part with for the knowledge of being covered. I'll skip eating two lunches at Arby's and boy I'm feeling healthier already.

No comments: