9/26/09

Reno and Gambling

Just got back from a trip to Reno. Wow what a depressing town. Not only just from the sheer dirtiness of the streets but you just can't help but look around and the majority of the people there look like they've lived a really difficult life.

I didn't see any bicycle police officers riding around with really tight shorts however the first night I did walk down the street to the walgreens and must have seen about 10 homeless people along the way.

I'll admit that I enjoy slot machines (particularly when they win) It's kind of like playing farmville on facebook only with real money and when you win - it's easy to get sucked into the idea that you are going to win big again.

I won the slots last year, several times to the tune of several thousand dollars. Which I spent. This year, I owe the IRS taxes on those winnings and aside from that, there's a few more bills to pay from the stupidity of my youth and Gambling isn't the greatest way to make money.

In fact I think that's why there are so many people facing serious financial problems. It's easy to walk into a casino and walk out a winner...and just as easy to spend one more twenty and lose more than you can afford.

Dave, one of the people I traveled with described Reno as "Las Vegas, only without as much fun, or beautiful people, with more drugs and filth."

That's really what I thought about Reno...it made me feel a little dirty all the time. It really wasn't that much fun (although I am thankful that I won my last $20 back at the airport on the way home.)

No comments: