7/5/09

Seriously...rest in peace already

I didn't understand it when 1,000 cried and mourned for Elvis. Of course I was 7 and not sixteen like our neighbor Joanne who cried. But seriously enough already with the Michael Jackson specials. Yes, he changed forever the beat and movement of american music but seriously - he was just another talented musician who died.

And as for Al Sharpton who today claimed that the media wasn't giving him proper due respect and compared the coverage of Frank Sinatra or Elvis...I'd say in comparison to Frank he's already gotten his 20 minutes and really if the point is to stop focusing on his crazy and creepy life, sorry Rev. Sharpton - Michael made those headlines on his own and really those are as much a part of the story as the song and the music.

Instead he's getting $2.5+ Million california tax dollars spent on police coverage of the event at the Staples Center to honor the man. If that's not enough to put him to rest then I think we all need to look at our priorities.

I gave Michael more than a passing thought. He seemingly is sticking around until the media tires of him. I just wonder though if we aren't blowing the homage to this man a little out of proportion. Buy his album. Share a story with a friend. If he truly was as much a man of the "people" why couldn't they just air one big tv show - oh wait they are, if what I saw on a commericial is correct they will be broadcasting live tomorrow from 10 a.m. on.

I realize daytime tv kind of stinks during the summer but really...when will enough be enough and we can finally rest from hearing about him already?

Then I'm sure the toxocology reports will come out in six weeks and we'll have to see the recap all over again.

Surely there's more to this life than dwelling on this person?

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Tina I agree. It was nice to see all the videos last weekend but after seeing Thriller 4 times on different channels within 10 minutes it got pretty old (but it did make me feel old that I still know the dance). I don't think Al Sharpton should speak for the family. Hopefully tomorrow after the service they will let it go...but probably not.