You pretty much couldn't grow up in the 70's or 80's without somewhat being a fan of Michael Jackson of some sort. C'mon, while you may not have owned a glove or tried to moonwalk in your socks across your mother's laminate floor, when Thriller came out it had a good beat and was easy to dance to. Or if you were like us - you were in junior high and you were mostly standing in cliquey groups not really dancing at the "sock hops" or coke dances as we called them.
In junior high I also remember our gym units required the guys to wrestle and the girls had to have a unit of modern dance. Can I say more loudly that I probably would have prefered wrestling? Anyhow, I remember well one rather horrific attempt at dance to Beat It.
Needless to say even the two years of "dance" I took at Delores Eisler's Dance Studios in Arlington Heights didn't prepare me for the travesty of this modern dance.
I rather enjoyed the albums Thriller and maybe a few songs off of Bad - I love The Way you Make Me Feel (particularly from the final dance sequence in the movie center stage...)
But by then I was in high school and probably college and Michael just was too odd and I don't rather appreciate the grab the crotch grunting panting singing whatever he invented that seemingly people still use to this day...as if.. unh..unh adds more beat to something.
Also it doesn't help but in college I worked at a radio station "playing today's hits and yesterday's favorites" from a completely automated FM station and in particular the song Black or White seemed to play every other our on the station's rotation which really made me loathe the song...even though I thought the music video was really cool.
It's sad that he died so early in life but I can't say it was really surprising.
Ever since I watched that docu-drama on NBC about Farrah Fawcett I've been waiting her announcement of death. You can't be that sick and recover. At least not for very long. I kind of feel bad for her...for most of her early career she was teamed with either the other angels or Lee Majors ...then she because the loopy cooky no one except maybe Ryan O'Neil was attracted to and now, even in death she has to share the stage with the king of pop.
God is the ultimate director of course - it was probably in their script.
I will say that tv isn't what it used to be if several channels can take all night an air halfway put together interviews and kind of pathetic video packages about both of these stars. I had to tune them out because I just think we give these stars too much accolade.
Hmmm...I probably shouldn't even be blogging about them.
No comments:
Post a Comment