Hanna Montana: The Movie
I've receive a lot of ribbing for the very idea that I saw this movie, let alone in a movie theater. It was a rated G movie and was like an extended episode of Hanna Montana the tv show. What I really can't understand is how Disney thinks so little of the "people" in the outskirts of this show to propose that by adding a blond wig and having the audicity to sing "best of both worlds" that no one can tell the difference between Miley Stewart and Hanna Montana...even after several years on tv.
I admit that I do sometimes watch the tv show. It's cute in a saved by the bell sort of way.
The storyline isn't that spectacular...imagine this Hanna Montana has become too spoiled so her dad (who should just stick to singing instead of trying to act) kidnaps her back to her hometown in Tennessee, which surprise surprise, is threated to be taken over by a big bad builder and *gasp* they are going to build a mega mall.
Insert a few insanely contrived pratfalls a-la mousetrap or Home Alone humor for the tweenybopper set and a big song finale at the end and you have yourself a movie.
Oh and since Hanna is now getting older, she has a love interest. It was amusing to listen and watch the tween sets in the movie theater gasp and sway whenever he was on screen, but they didn't over exploit that relationship much more beyond a first date sweet sort of crush.
There's a really sweet song between hanna and her dad, which I could totally see being a wedding dance song for single fathers who raise their daughters and I sort of like the song climb, but Miley's voice kind of bugs me.
All in all I give the movie at 2 3/4 rating...it was good but probably could have waited til the debut on the disney channel.
_______________________
I also rented a few redbox movies this afternoon:
The Women
Ugh...slow movie. I started watching and had hopes for this movie. It looked like a decent cast but boy, what a clunker. In fact I probably missed about 1/2 an hour because I dozed off. It's about a group of women whose lives are intermingled and I guess explores the relationship of women and friendships or acquaintances and what happens when confidences are betrayed. That makes four movies that Meg Ryan has done lately that have just annoyed me.
1/2 a star.
Madagasgar 2
This movie too was a disappointment. I just couldn't follow the story line and I guess I just liked the first one a whole lot better. It was still good...just not great.
3 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment