4/21/09

High School

While driving to work this morning there was an advertisement on the radio for some sort of alternative on-line high school that kids could attend to get their degree on their terms, their time.

Now this may be aging me but I'm not sure that the kids of today need so many choices. I happen to think that by the time you are in high school that maybe you need to conform to society so that maybe you might be able to survive in the real world someday.

When I was a kid...(yep, I couldn't resist) you had the choice...go to public high school or parochial high school or drop out. Yep, that was it.

I'm not sure I understand the whole home schooling craze either but for those parents who are doing a circullium for their younger children I think it might be a good thing and I guess I do know a couple of adults who were home schooled but um I'm still not sure I understand how homeschooling is measured once you get to high school.

One of my friends back in Illinois daughter is in some sort of alternative magnet school. She has classes that sound more like some sort of modified summer camp than an actual education. But maybe that will serve her well later in life? Or maybe not.

I'm not sure that all the classes I took in high school were necessary or help me in life now. Especially geometry and maybe algebra.

But really, if things aren't going well for you in school, going online without much of a rhyme or reason just seems like an easy way out.

That's just my uneducated opinion of course.

There are days (like today) that I really want to work from home...be away from pesky co-workers and not have people ask every five minutes what I'm doing. I'd like less structure. But the world doesn't work that way...if you really want to work. And I guess I wonder why school has so many choices?

No comments: