4/22/09

Not without merit

Okay, so I admit that I don't really pay attention to money. I probably should if I want to retire some day but I've been hovering in the mindset of paycheck to paycheck for so long and really always consider myself in my 30's instead of coming to the harsh reality that I'm really hovering close to 40 and probably should invest or think about not renting or um...save some money for a rainy day....what really does that mean anyhow? Save money for when the rain comes...bad stuff happens. That just seems so completely...defeatist.

Save money for a trip to Cancun. Now there's something to look forward to. But then again, that's my day to day mentality.

Today I received my merit increase, which in a day and age of people having their salaries frozen and the fact that I had my performance review over a month ago and nothing was mentioned...all came to a surprise.

What somewhat bugs me about the way this all transpired is that the sheet of paper merely said what the total salary was before taxes and so I'm sure that when I really do get my paycheck, I will be sorely disappointed by the minor increase that merit actually rewarded but again...I'm not going to look at extra money in a harsh light. This is all good...just wish though they could just translate it into common folk terms like "you will see an additional $15.00 in your bank account next week....we took $345 for taxes and social security...congratulations...you've been merited!!!"

Again, not to complain, merely just an happy observation.

No comments: