**1/2 stars out of 5 (or 5 1/2 stars out of 5 stars for the one blog reader who says I always grade movies far too harshly.)
I've been sick. So today was a special treat to actually be out of the house around noon and head to a matinee. It also made me smile that we went to the movie that Brian knew I wanted to see and even though he said he wanted to see it too, I'm sure being only one of two men in the theater was a sure sign that he might be humoring the sick friend just a little. Anyhow...I might give the movie just an extra star for Brian's effort to make me smile today in that not only did he invite me out, knowing full well I might still be contagious, but he also brought a stack of movies he thought I might like to help me "rest" because I was just complaining the other day of the poor selection of television viewing. Anyhow...he get's a gold star and a blog mention, even though I'm sure he'll hate that.
So I guess the summary of the movie is that men and women just don't communicate the same way and that some people are more clued in than other as to whether men are "into" women or women are "into" men.
There's are about 12 different storylines. A few of which were ridiculously flimsy and hardly worth mentioning (Drew Barrymore) and a few others that just dragged on so long that you might say to yourself...ya ya ya...get on with it already.
And sure, I've played into the whole when do you call or not call or stalk people on facebook or stare at the phone or check to make sure the dial tone still works or...well...sure, dating and men in particular are difficult to read. How do you know if a guy is into you?
There were a few cute moments and a couple of sweet romantic things but for all practical purposes...you could rent it.
The only buyable romantic spark really was justin long's character and ginnifer's character but it just took so long to get there that ...well the spark was more like a faint flickr.
Ah and maybe ben affleck and jennifer anniston's characters...maybe...but the rest was just not developed real well or even very believable. And well...again it's one of those sex in the city unrealistic 30-somethings who all have chic apartments and houses but their love lives are all messed up.
Also again the totally together "married couple" cheats. As if this is the only option.
Also I'm not entirely sure if I'm left with the idea that what they are really saying is that the only thing single women really want is to be married. Also they didn't really sell the idea that most men are happy after getting married either...so...I guess stereotypes live on and hours later, I'm not entirely sure there was much of a story there.
I know I know...it's a movie....but still....
Also, boy we went to the Oakdale Carmike and there had to have been at least 45 minutes of setup before the movie started between, commercials and commercials for the digital projectors and commercials for people to get more popcorn and commercials...and we saw the previews for Harry Potter (which looks pretty good but isn't out until July), Land of the Lost (which could be good or very very bad), some other movie about infidelty, and Confessions of a Shopaholic (which I already deemed a redbox maybe rental...)
Needless to say.... thanks to Brian for the fun early afternoon out of the house...stay tuned for a week's worth of DVD reviews....
No comments:
Post a Comment