We saw Gran Turino last night. I'd give it a standard three star rating.
It's not that it was that bad of a movie and the storyline was pretty decent in a sort of modern day grumpy old guy living in a changing neighborhood hates everyone but finds his heart somewhere along the journey sort of way.
Everyone has been gushing about Bee Vang - the hmong twin cities teenager that never acted before and landed his role. While I thought he played a good character, I also thought he wasn't that great and kind of wooden, and maybe that's merely a portrayal of the hmong not wanting to look people in the eye but I guess I just didn't buy it.
There also was a stereotypical priest in the movie that kind of irritated me too. Although it did paint a good picture of one thing that I really always just find a little annoying. Door to door churchpeople who don't really relate at all to the people that they are talking to. In the end I think the priest figured out how to relate to walt but ...
There is a good amount of racial slurs in this movie which made me overanalyze whether supporting this movie encourages the idea that people should talk like that. I'm hardly naive however there were points in the movie where I think the theater was laughing more uncomfortably than because of anything funny really going on.
I laughed. I cried. It was an interesting few hours. But I'd wait for Redbox, if you don't feel like running out right away.
No comments:
Post a Comment