1/17/09

DVD Review: Tropic Thunder

This is a movie spoofed to make fun of self absorbed actors. I figured that I was probably one of the few people in this country who hasn't seen this movie because of the talk when robert downey jr. or ben stiller was up for a golden globe.

The gang ends up on the set of an over-budget remake of a book about war. Method acting gets in the way of causing them to ruin a 4 million dollar scene and from there the actors are thrown into a real life "war" that they think is fake to help them act better when really they are merely acting their way out of a real heroin/drug operation that they stumbled upon in their journey out of the jungle.

We decided to watch this movie while eating dinner. Which for the first few scenes, probably wasn't the best idea if you are at all squeemish. Luckily I am not. Over the top bloody ropes to make it look like intestines were quite over the top but to some, I imagine it might be um gross.

I can surely see why people were talking about Robert Downey jr. he was hardly recognizable even when he switched back to being australian.

There were a lot of other cameos that were well done.

I probably won't add the video to my film collection but if you just want something to do that makes you not think for an hour and forty minutes, it's not too bad. I will warn you though, that for those people who are easily offended, this movie does play to some rather obnoxious stereotypes and language that might be offensive to some people.

We laughed, and that was good enough for a bitterly cold friday night.

And because I know there is one person who is curious to what I grade this movie - I have to be true to my scoring method and give it 2 and 3/4 stars. Mostly because of the way I've scored other movies to date...this just didn't seem as good as the others I've given three stars to so unless I head back and rescore all the others, 2 3/4 stars it is.

It's funny, in the overthetop, why am I laughing at this crude somewhat offensive sort of way. And it is originial.

No comments: