1/17/09

DVD Review: Swing Vote

In light of Minnesota's recent senate race the idea of having one vote matter actually seems a bit more real. Kevin Costner plays a somewhat down on his luck drunk dad who has custody of a daughter who really is quite smart and thoughtful. She really wants her dad to participate in the voting process and so asks him to meet her at the polling place.

He doesn't show up and the polling place is closing. The election judge is sleeping and the other person conveniently goes into the other room to clean, so the little girl sneaks in, signs in, grabs the ballot and heads to the video voting booths.

At which point the person I was watching the movie turns to me ands says "They have video voting booths in Texaco New Mexico and we get handed a pencil and a piece of paper?"

Yep, that pretty much sums up most of this movie. Which seemed to just make it too easy for the voting process or even the re-voting process to be tainted.

I didn't really buy the characters playing the president or their political counterparts and their advisors were equally lame. And maybe I'm just comparing it to a movie like DAVE where overthrowing the political process seemed a bit more clever.

Also there was a side story maybe sort of romance that just never developed between costner, the daughter and a townie reporter. Also I thought the character played by George Lopez was just a waste of airspace.

It was worth a dollar in redbox to see but um...I give it 1 star. The story really just didn't go anywhere and it wasn't really that funny.

No comments: