11/23/08

Thankful - part two

I am thankful for my family. I know this seems like a "given" but especially in the last ten years when I haven't had them a stone's throw away, it makes me realize the unique relationship we have. I'm sure I could be better at communicating and I probably could show my love more but I wouldn't be the person I am today without the love and interaction with each person in my immediate family.

My dad - I am infinitely thankful this year that he's still with us. He has probably the grumpiest demeanor lately, but I can hardly blame him when seemingly his body is failing him and he's feeling like perhaps he isn't "working". See that's I think what makes dad, well, dad...he worked. All the time. And when he was home he was tinkering or building or cutting or "sinking" - our favorite word for his afternoon naps in the recliner in the living room. He cares about us kids and worries in his own way. He always asks about my car - even though he knows that aside from telling him something is rattling that I don't have a clue how to explain what might be wrong. When I think about my dad and my hope for him - it's quite simply that he learns about joy in the simple things again. That he hangs on to hope and that he remembers that God loves him - even through this struggle.

My mom - She surely has a lot that she is shouldering and in this past year she too has struggled with health issues. Our family has endured because she is extremely organized and resourceful when she needs to be. She worries about her children and probably always will even though I wish she wouldn't. I think I recognize that what she wants most in this world is for her family to love each other and with a simple hug and kiss that love is shown. My greatest wish is that she finds a way to love life to the edges for herself and that she finds some way to circumvent being lonely. I wish I could change that but I know I can't.

Brother Jerry - Jerry and I have been constant companions for longer than we've been born. But this year, with his buying a house and just some other discussions I've seen that he is gaining more independence and finding his niche in the world. I'm extremely glad he's finishing his degree too - not because someone says you need to have a college degree but I sometimes don't wonder what limitations a person puts on himself when he thinks he needs to do something but hasn't quite done it. I am always thankful that he's a phone call away and that our twin-link sometimes eeriely works.

Brother Pete - Pete too has grown up by leaps and bounds in the last several years. I know that's stupid to say as we are all adults now but I see that he cares and loves and somehow it's been nice to not be quite so adrift from him. He loves his daughter and wife. He works hard. I'm thankful he and I have talked more as I'd really like to know him....which I admit wasn't exactly the case as we were growing up. I think we both have a lot of love to give each other and I hope that continues.

Sister Sara - I am infinately thankful that Sara has entered our family. She loves my brother and is a great mom to Emily. It's also great to have another woman in the family (if only occaisionally to call Pete out on a boneheaded move) She didn't let something like losing a job slow her down and while I still have to admit I haven't had time to really get to know her that well - among the birthdays and christmases ...how much like pete, I have a desire to know her more.

Little Em - She is the bright hope for our family. I am thankful for every one of her smiles. The little saucy jaunt to her head. She is smart and has already endured a lot in her little life. I am thankful for her because I think while she came a bit earlier in Pete and Sara's relationship than they ever imagined, it was the right timing for our family. A small ray of sunshine packed into a toddler who loves unconditionally.

The extended family plays a role as well and I think about them and love them all. (Of course I could list them all out here except I probably would forget one or two and then the blog would be incomplete.)

We don't exactly have the most functional family in the world. I know I could do a better job at loving them. But I am thankful for each day I have in their presence - even if it is from almost 300 miles away.

No comments: