I am thankful for my network of friends. For each significantly plays a role in inspiring me, encouraging me, comforting me and makes me want to be a better friend in so many more tangible ways.
There are some who I have known a long time, who can share stories of junior high and high school. Of campouts and coke dances and broken hearts from those unrequited puppy love crushes. Who have threatened to beat up Geometry teachers for failing me when I deserved to be failed and for helping navigate those junior high and high school awkward years with as much teenage stupidity as we could muster.
Those I consider my college crew - they number just a few. They became a surrogate family when it was too far to drive home for thanksgiving. Or let me camp at their house for weeks and months. Who listen with a kind ear and call me out when I'm being stupid. Although we've mostly gone our separate ways there are a few who have stayed connected. We've experienced weddings and divorces, births and deaths, we may be separated by states and countries but we remain a network of support that I treasure.
A few more who I've known only a few years - whose friendship has supported me through some trying times. Who rally around to serve and have fun at the same time. We pray for each other and eat good food. We read a little and some of us sing off key, while others project the greatness that inspires my creative soul. They write melodies and speak words that echo through my head to my heart. They listen to my eco-rants and pitch in to help when I'm overwhelmed. They drink hot cocoa while we freeze our fingers off at the winter carnival parade and who can bring a smile by reaching for my hand and laugh at the dumbest thing imaginable at that moment - they each, in their own amazing way, bring joy to fill the empty space that would have been my life without them.
I am thankful for my friends. For the genuine people they are. For the blessings they are to the world. For the warmth of their smile. For without them, I wouldn't be half the woman I am - they have molded me, they inspire me, and I can only hope that I can return their friendship with as much genuine transparency as they have shown me. For those I've forgotten. For those who've since gone on to heaven, for you all I do believe this song summarizes it pretty succinctly
No comments:
Post a Comment