This week I'm going to attempt to blog ever day up until Thanksgiving. Mostly because there's a lot to be thankful for.
Today I am thankful for God. These last several weeks more than a few discussions have been had by a few friends and bloggers alike about how people really don't just simply thank God in the simple stuff. Without a laundry list of wants or desires but to just praise Him.
A week or so ago I argued that perhaps people might understand God better if they could see Him. Like the lucky duck (I know...maybe a poor choice of words) Moses in Exodus...Instead of some sort of being who is difficult to understand at times couldn't He just hang out next to me and just speak?
Then someone brought up two thoughts to that...isn't He here anyhow? AND would you really really want Him there?
Then I went to the bookstore to pick up a book for a new book club I'm joining...it's called The Shack. Let's just say that thanks to that book, I've completely reversed my opinion about wanting God to just hang out. I'm on page 200 and while there are nuggets of cool crafted sentences I'm just having a hard time with the idea that God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit all meet a guy at a shack.
Apparently Michael W. Smith and his wife really liked the book...I'm hoping it will get better but I am already on page 200...somehow...I think it will be one of those things that I read that needs to gel a bit before I learn anything from it.
But I've gotten off-track...
Even on the journey when my path veers off track, when I think it can't get darker and I've pushed everyone away, when the call comes and the news isn't in my plan, He is there.
I have no idea why I don't acknowledge Him more. It's not about some list of rules. But about my heart I won't completely give...And still He's there when I look and when I don't. Waiting for nothing but all that I am.
I'm thankful for God. I'm learning I don't have to understand everything. I'm also learning that I'm tempted by this world and it's such a difficult but easy thing to know that God needs to be in your life always...not just on random days or hours.
A pastor that I listen to once in awhile said something the other day that I found quite stirring...have you ever really thought about what you believe? Do you ever wonder if people would spend as much effort as they do in their other pursuits that pull them away from God, if they might realize the enormity of what they COULD believe?
They might figure out how many licks it takes to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop but miss the everlasting piece of the puzzle.
Stay tuned...more thanks giving to come.
2 comments:
what book club are you joining?
Well there are a couple of them that have come up...the one Dane is trying to start and then there's one that Cheryl Krech invited me to that I thought I'd attempt...it might be too much reading. :) Although is there such a thing?
Post a Comment