10/15/08

what a joke

I read on the Yahoo! News blurb just now that CNN has signed D.L. Hughley to a new comedy show. When I think comedy I typically don't immediately jump to CNN. And while I realize that the cable enterprises need to do something to earn ratings and revenue and advertisers - isn't the news media becoming enough of a joke nowadays that to actually have a "comedy" hour in which news is being made fun of merely dilutes the brand of being serious "journalistic" network.

At one point in my career I wanted to be a newscaster. Probably more radio than television but sincerely I still have a bit of newshound in me. At one point a couple of my friends worked at CNN. At one point, I too watched Wolf Blitzer and the Scud Stud to understand what was going on in the Iraq war. Sure I didn't get goosebumps every time James Earl Jones said "This is CNN" but for a while, CNN was where I got my news.

Of course with cable television rates the way they are, I got rid of cable and now watch mostly WCCO because I rather enjoy it when Don Shelby gets cranky about something in his OpEd pieces.

News should be news and comedy should stick to an outlet like Comedy Central. Unless they are changing the C in CNN to Comedy I think they should maybe try to just get better at doing the News. What a novel idea? THAT probably would help their ratings more than D. L. Hughley ever would. And I've seen D.L. Hughley - he's not THAT funny.

We now return you to your regularly broadcast bloggin'

No comments: