I was asked a few weeks ago to help mentor a woman who wants to break into the marketing communications department at work. I'm not exactly a role model. (Especially lately.)
So a few days ago the woman sent me a note and wanted to know if it would be okay for her to come out and job shadow me for a morning.
Um...what's a person supposed to say to that? Fine. So today was the day. I just didn't exactly know what to do. It's not like working on brochure layouts are all that interesting to watch and I barely know what I'm doing in illustrator to explain to her what I was doing was somewhat of a joke. I also showed her my website...which is still on hold (approval pending I think NEXT WEEK.)
I also was asked to find a photo of a knee in a shower for the newer cover of one of our product brochures. Yep, chalk it right up there with an exploded hospital drawing that shows each department separately (that was yesterday's request) as IMPOSSIBLE images to find.
I explained to her the joy of stock photography sites and spent about 20 minutes looking for a knee...which I did find by some strange miracle.
We went to lunch and then she left. I'm not entirely sure how interesting it was for her and I'm just not all that inspiring of a worker-bee. My only hope is that I didn't completely turn her off her dream completely.
I'm just saying - with my current attitude it could happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment