10/5/08

Let's Be Fair with the Fare

I read another article today about American Airlines proposing a new fare structure to be implemented next year. They propose to use Air Canada's "menu" option to allow customers to pick and choose "perks" like checking baggage and getting a beverage on a flight at an additional cost.

Truthfully, I could care less about getting a beverage on a flight. Unless say I'm flying to Europe, Hawaii or maybe California where the flight is more than a few hours, I typically don't get thirsty or I can pick something up at the airport before I get in.

Which makes me wonder if the whole "no liquids" 3 oz. baggie thing is merely a conspiracy theory to get people to buy more bottles of water, soda and cups of coffee at the airport. If they were really concerned about tampering on an airplane with some sort of man-made contraption - couldn't someone really figure a way around the whole liquids debate anyhow?

What does make me nuts is the whole idea that I'm paying extra for something that isn't exactly a convenience. Checking one bag is a safety issue. If it really is a "baggage handling issue" why not give the option to check at the gate - which is what is happening anyhow with everyone bringing on way to large a bag to be considered a carryon.

I don't need a blanket or a pillow or a pair of headphones. I need to be able to reasonably fly from point a to b and perhaps not get crammed into the very last seat in the plane with a center seat hog to boot.

Airlines are already charging us more for flights. Last year my flight to Chicago for Christmas cost a mere $165 round trip. Because of a lack of other airlines flying and a reduction of schedules even on NWA, currently the same flight will cost almost $400. (or a combination of 50,000 frequent flier miles and $147 (I have the frequent flier miles - that's not a problem, what is irritating is that I used to just be able to use frequent flier miles and not have to pay an extra fee and we are talking Chicago...not paris or rome or even someplace odd like cleveland.)

Let's get back to reality. Stop nickel and diming the consumer and cover your expenses and economical problems with one price that's fair for all. I don't need to think about so many things when I'm trying to book a ticket and truthfully, while I have ridiculously paid $20.00 extra for a window seat, if they continue these bogus price gouging practices I may just take my chances with a bare bones ticket and the heck with their supposed "extras".

No comments: