This week we celebrate one year of the start of the Alley (the church I currently attend) In some ways it hardly seems possible that it can already be a year. So here are a few ponderings...
God is everywhere. It's been particularly a trying year at work. There are any number of times when it's easy to gossip or really hurt people by not offering compassion - there is no double life - it's just life, and there's no hiding from God.
It's easy to fall into the "church" tasks of the production of worship on Sunday mornings, the little and not-so-little details, and they become distractions. It's easy to feel like you belong to this "team" and become distracted and a little cliquey. To be so busy that you don't take time to build relationships with people and say eat a hot dog when it's offered or be so busy that the time to really talk to God or praise Him has passed.
I have to admit I still feel a bit like an odd-duck. Not as much as I used to, but the feeling is still there mostly of my own sensitivity.
Pray and pray again. And don't do all the talking. I had a hard time with this. How can you really listen for a word from God when He is this intangible being? I've asked that question to others and they've never really been able to give me an answer but I think this is something that you just know when you know.
For me it's been a year of stretching. Kind of like that time as a kid when you'd hang from the monkey bars in the hope that you'd grow an inch. You'd stretch and stretch and go to the pencil line at the closet door and the line just doesn't move. Stretching is part of what I feel called to do. Perhaps it's just a way of limbering the soul for the life ahead? To step outside of what I've always done and instead of merely considering it - try and live it. That's hard. But infinitely (and hopefully) doable.
No comments:
Post a Comment