9/17/08

How True a Verse Ever Spoken this week

"The fastest runner doesn’t always win the race, and the strongest warrior doesn’t always win the battle. The wise sometimes go hungry, and the skillful are not necessarily wealthy. And those who are educated don’t always lead successful lives. It is all decided by chance, by being in the right place at the right time."

Several years ago I had a discussion with someone about luck. Does luck exist? He insisted that there is no such thing as luck, only God's plan. If Solomon had it right and it's all decided by chance or proximity is that chance or luck or just God's plan? I'm still siding with the idea that somethings are just by chance - both good and bad.

I'm not saying I'm fast or strong or wise or skilled or educated. But how we respond requires some eternal perspective and I just don't at this very moment have it.

The things that eat away at me are not monumental. Solomon had something goin' there with his meaningless banter - how in the end, it is how we live eternally that should really matter but how the heck can that be really lived when your first instinct is to kick and scream and rave and call things unfair and feel a little lost and gossip and really dislike people. Okay maybe I don't really dislike people but they make me mad or maybe a whole lot sad.

I'm trying to be in line with loving everyone but honestly that's a whole lot easier said than done.

Maybe I shouldn't want so much to be appreciated. And just rather be content with the life that I've run into?

No comments: