So there are certain things that I probably should let go in this world. One of them being Brightlife.
I realize now that I was seeking relevance way before I really was seeking God but really without someone to learn from and without getting it that all things point to God (deeper than some repeatable sermon note)
I'm still of the belief that reading the bible is a great pursuit. However without community I'm not sure I would be at the same point in my limited understanding and "getting it" and even then I'm sure that we won't know what IT is until we get to heaven.
Our church was dying. "Young People" were heading to Willow Creek en masse. As one of the few who stayed behind, I was somewhat annoyed at the fact that they kept wondering what they should do instead of just DOING SOMETHING. So I was asked to join a committee (because if you speak it, it shall be yours.)
So we started Brightlife.
I'm not saying the service was perfect. But it did do one thing that I was happy about. My mom started worshiping at church again. It's not that earth shattering of a thing. Just something I quietly noticed that even continued long after I moved away. I know my family all has different ways they worship God, but I also know how much I've gotten out of regularly worshiping with other believers so I was happy that she had found this same relevation.
Anyhow, I left and moved to minnesota.
Change is going to happen. But when it's just this wishywashy lukewarm change it just makes me nuts.
I spoke to mom today. They have been slowly changing this service she likes over the last few years. They announced a few weeks ago that the service was going to be changed drastically and they would mostly just host a bible study and sing one song.
ONE SONG.
When asked why only one song, the response was that the organist who had been leading the services for many years has decided to retire and while they search for a replacement, he is going to charge the church for every song he played on a sunday. And since he already had two other services...they did the math and wa-la the middle, low attendance "service" will have one song. (There is after all a budget to consider.)
Even if you KNOW this to be the reason why you are making the decision, don't you think you'd tell the congregation some other statement other than you can't afford to pay people to play more music? Say something like - wherever two or more are gathered to celebrate God's word - that's worship. But when it's a corporate decision, that just doesn't sit well with me. I'm probably wrong and judgemental but I know one of the things that mom enjoys is the music.
Granted mom could switch and start going once a month to the contemporary service they are adding to the regular line up. Who knows, she might still do that. She could also jump ship and switch churches but she's also of the generation who kind of likes tradition. She's been going there forever and while there are other churches in town, they do things differently too. Anyhow, really that's not what ticks me off about this whole scenario.
In a synod who has many or few people overly concerned with worship styles and rules, the fact that dying churches aren't under as much of a magnifying glass is somewhat annoying. (Okay I don't know this for a fact but REALLY - can they expect little for such a HUGE GOD?)
The fact that the answer is that an organist can charge per song and THAT's the reason only one song will be sung is a disservice to the whole act of worship. Especially when they are, at the same time, investing a lot of money into expanding a building to focus their ministry on children and families.
A noble cause but if you can't even afford to pay for things like songs shouldn't you figure out your finances, attract others with what you have and then maybe build the building?
I know I shouldn't even care but ONE SONG - because that's all they can afford or a reason for worship of a God who should be praised? It just seems worth more to find a few volunteers and a couple of guitars if that's all that's holding them back from really worshiping.
At least mom went to the church council meeting and expressed her concerns. She was told to just hang tight, that perhaps things would change when the new minister of music came.
I know change is tough. It's why mom's hung onto a dying church for 40+ years. However ultimately instead of continuing a "service" that is hardly worship they should just call a spade a spade and completely cancel it all together. (I'm probably being too judgemental.)
_____
In an ironic postscript to this - today I also spoke with our previous pastor. He eventually retired from the church. I didn't talk to him because of this thing but because I saw it was his birthday and I hadn't chatted with him in awhile.
Anyhow, he now supplements his income by participating in a program called rentarev.com (I'm not entirely sure if I agree with the whole premise but it is interesting. Kind of like a dj service of sorts - people can rent a reverend to perform ceremonies and other official acts.)
As a way to lighten the conversation I told mom that at least if someone died or um wanted to get married and we didn't "have a church" we could hire him again to participate in the funeral/wedding. It's a legitimate thing.
What I didn't even think of is if he saw my NOT BEING SINGLE notice on facebook and merely wanted to offer his services? :) Yeah, I'm sure that wasn't the case.
No comments:
Post a Comment