8/12/08

The Republicans Are Coming! The Republicans Are Coming!

It's amazing what a new month has brought to the skyway system. In just the last day or so, vacant storefronts that have truly been vacant for all 10 years I've been wandering the skyways suddenly have activities and signs "coming soon!" with um "important stuff" only a republican delegate might want - like red/white/blue accessories and fancy chocolates shaped like, um, a republican? The sign just says customized FANCY chocolates. There's carpet in the store however no sign of chocolate yet so I can only ponder.

Those at least are the two storefront that are going up right outside of our building.

Every building has pipe and window washers and we just received word that our park is the staging area for several of the protestors. Seems rather lackluster to protest an event from four blocks away.

I remember back in the summer of 1990 when Brian and I covered Gorbachev's visit to Minnesota for several southeastern radio stations. I had a taste of how completely screwed up a town could get when the president, secret service and a few thousand people try and huddle around the metrodome. That particular event was insane because you had all the major and not so major news media looking to cover the story and we submitted our credentials and by lottery were sent to cover a particular part of the visit. I remember being so excited only to have been given a venue whose whole purpose was to sit outside a hotel and wait for the president and Gorbachev to drive by. All I kept hoping for was a protest or a shooting - something, anything so that I could have a soundbyte more than just a bunch of cars driving by.

Needless to say, it made for a cool memory, but I never did get my soundbyte. I got to walk on the floor of the metrodome, eat some really pretty tasty food, and I did get to interview Gorbachev's press secretary for about ten minutes in a press conference, which was cool, however the rest of the event was not the most stellar of journalistic endevours.

Anyhow all that to say - I hope the Republicans come in droves. (mostly so that it's such a mess downtown that I will be able to work from home for that week.)

I am interested to see how it all turns out. I am mostly a republican although I typically don't throw my allegiance to any party until I truly hear what they believe and whether the person who is running for office has integrity. My twin brother is a card carrying republican so I may try and snatch a few trinkets for him.

Who knows, I might even break down and buy a FANCY chocolate shaped like a republican.

No comments: