8/16/08

DVD Review: 27 Dresses

I've kept this movie on my short list of movies that would be good to see but only when I was in a good mood and didn't have anything better to do.

So today, in an attempt to avoid housework that I desparately need to do, I went to the Red Box (what a great invention that is!) and rented it.

It's a bit too neat of a movie. A bit too cliche. And it seems to me that I'm judging a book by her cover but I don't buy that for one minute the she's always the bridesmaid and never the bride. Maybe I'm reverse discriminating but c'mon!

I can identify with this movie on more levels than I'm comfortable admitting. Who wants to be a people pleaser all the time? Who wants to just do everything herself instead of asking anyone to help? Who would do anything for her friends and still knows that they would do the same? Who has worn A LOT of ugly bridemaid dresses? Who really likes the idea of weddings? Who likes planning parties? Who often butts her nose into situations where she really wants to help without asking if someone needs help? I'm really not assuming I'm all of those things, but I do tend to exhibit some of those traits. I'm sure if I ask (which I won't, but rest assured, a few people will have something to say!)

Much like the character in this movie, I've watched someone I loved plan and execute a wedding. He's the person I've pointed to and said - see, men and women can be friends, and yet he is also the person who I point to now that I'm a little older and realize that the movie When Harry Met Sally had a lot of truth to it -- Men and Women can't be the same sort of friends as women with women. I'm looking to be proven wrong, but there is a certain wiring that I just believe makes it impossible to be the same sort of friend with a man and even more so with a man who is married.

Regardless of whether you knew him before the nuptials, I just think they belong in a completely different category and there's a certain care that needs to be given to that sort of conversation let alone friendship.

Of course the man I loved who now is married, lives a lifetime away and is happily married with a child and we maybe talk every couple of years (even in the day and age of facebook and myspace) Can talking to a person only once every couple of years still make them a friend?

I've really been struggling with this facebook instant friendship thing. There are people who claim 1,000's of friends. Do I add people as friends merely because I know them and we are building a village? There are people I know and consider a friend of a sort who have added friends of mine but haven't added me so should I be concerned that they don't like me enough? Obviously, I've noticed, but really why should I care? And there's so much about facebook and myspace that people put out there that just should be among a certain category of friend that I'm not sure I need to know. So why am I not on YOUR face book? You've seen into my thoughts - aren't we friends now? And how much like junior high is it to wonder? Or are you waiting for me to ask? Because I tell you, I'm not so great at asking. It's that fear of rejection.

It's probably why I haven't had a date since the guy who married someone else. It's also why I haven't quite ventured into match.com or e-harmony again. I just don't feel like paying a lot of money to confirm rejection and isn't that a postive way of thinking? NOW THERE's more of a reason why I haven't had a date. :) Not many people see that side but I'm sure my cynicism shines thru.

Back to the movie -- Much like this character I'm not that great at saying no. I allow work to become my life. Work has become relationship. And I'm feeling a little like I need to probably get some counseling. Or maybe it will require a divorce. And now that work is pretty much a crapshoot most days I wonder how the heck I'm going to build my life again. And how many times in a lifetime do we have to refine the definition that becomes our life?

So back to the movie...I'd say it garners **1/2 stars. It was interesting enough for a few hours and I rather thought the male lead was nice on the eyes, but it was a little too predictable...right down to the end.

No comments: