Bread. I figured out in one day that I am addicted to baked goods, but in particular bread.
One of the staples of singledome is the sandwich. A simple thing really but ideal for those quick-hit dinners eaten mostly standing at the sink or while parked in front of my coffee table flipping channels on tv. Tonight I couldn't even grab my next back-up - a frozen dinner because that had meat in it. I haven't eaten fruit in a really long time. I mean to. But when faced with a snacking suggestion, fruit just doesn't typically make it on the short list. Tonight it was dinner and it wasn't bad.
Probably also the reason why I'm well over my ideal health weight.
And no - for my family who all is wondering if I've finally caved to suggestions that I should go on a diet, that's not what is starting this idea. (Although who knows where it may lead?)
I am committed to doing a fast. I'm rather glad that it's been challenging so far but I imagine that the idea isn't to become so focused on what you are living without but rather focusing on God. And so, while today was just the first day, I'm rather a dismal failure but I am not without hope.
Today though it was quite apparent that that phrase "man cannot live by bread alone" really hasn't defined my life. In fact quite the opposite is true, and everything I pretty much consume either has some semblance of bread or meat in it. Or chocolate. Any hey, if I was at the fair, I could grab a chocolate covered strip of bacon and find some bread and combine all three. (Yep, sounds disgusting doesn't it?)
Also I realized that we get offered a lot of food during the regular workday. Today I was offered a taste of a three musketeers mint candy bar (which I had NO problem passing on because I've had it and don't like it) and a cookie, which I absent mindedly took and almost ate when suddenly I realized what I was doing. (Of course the person who offered it to me suddenly worried for my health, because why else would you decline a perfectly lovely cookie? Especially on a Monday.)
And so I pray tomorrow will be a different day. I do have a lunch meeting which may be a challenge. But I imagine if fasting were a piece of cake...we'd be eating that too and forgetting that it isn't really about what's removed from our lives, or really about food at all, but rather about it's about God and becoming more familiar with what He has already figured out.
No comments:
Post a Comment