I just finished reading a book where one of the characters stopped at a convenience store and bought a bag of boiled peanuts. I will add that to the list of stuff like sweet tea that this northern born and bred person has never had. What is a boiled pea? Why is it boiled? And you buy a bag of them? Then what? Wow, are they really purple?
Sort of like realizing you only eat the little seeds and not the whole edamame pod. Who knew? We eat pea pods so why not something that looks the same? Of course the first time I ate one I realized that they really don't taste very good.
Much like the other day in Atlanta, the brunswick stew had okra. I know they sell it in the grocery store here (and it's in the freezer section- one small bag among the 100's of bags of frozen green beans and peas)
Why don't we find grits on menus more often in the north? It's quite tasty.
Someone mentioned Goober Peas... I remember singing the song peas peas peas peas eating goober peas.
Whatever did we do without Google and wikipedia? Remember when we actually had to go to the library and look up in one of those card catalog dewey decimal nightmare of a file cabinets and go to the stacks and see whether the book you think might have the answer did or not? The hours of time spent at Arlington Heights Memorial Library?
No comments:
Post a Comment