7/11/08

Relay for Life - Part 1

Wow, today was a scorching day. And I admit I haven't gotten a lot of sleep and was way more whiney and crabby. I also was really looking forward to this event for a while and today dawned and I knew that it was going to be hot and way too windy and that maybe by the time we had everything figured out it would be storming and well...that just didn't excite me. I also was crabby with Eco-ville stuff that's going on and because I had planned to take the day off and ended up working half a day, I was a tad more frazzled too.

Last night I stayed up and figured out the bowling game, gotten the rest of the inflatable bowling stuff blown up, made these cute little bowling pins, had black balloons for decorations and it probably would have been pretty nifty. BUT, alas, the wind had other things in mind when it completely destroyed the canopy and broke the pole of the tent I borrowed from my co-worker, aside from that...I was so completely pleased with how many people participated this year and hopefully next year the event grows. Tents can be replaced but just seeing the community of people all out to support this cause was very enlightening.

I thought the opening ceremony was a bit long. And probably needs an official MC that isn't the chairperson. I was very moved by the high schooler who opened the ceremony by sharing her story.

Sadly the rain and storms did blow through and the event was cancelled for safety reasons. (We had sort of teased that we should pray for storms around 4 p.m. when we were already way too hot and tired...maybe God thought we were serious and we shouldn't be playin' with the power of prayer? Alas, God answered with an ability to sleep a bit more tonight. (Although, here it is 11:53 and I'm blogging because I can't sleep...go figure!)

A few of us went to the pizza pub closeby for a snack and a drink and we are planning on heading back over to the track before sunrise to walk a few laps and celebrate the event in the a.m.

Here are some photos from this afternoon...

No comments: