7/2/08

I've never really understood what was with the world's fascination with fireworks. Particularly those "friendly" ones like snakes where really you light something on fire, it creates an ash snake and makes the world around you smell like sulfur...woo-hoo...happy birthday USA! I like sparklers. Provided little kids aren't throwing them at each other.

I understand that you need it to be dark to light off fireworks. I get that. But could we try and do it, say NOT at 1 a.m. Last night I had my windows open. And my neighbors had those snap crackle pop whistle fireworks that cost way too much money and seemingly go on for about a minute. I could swear they lit it off in my bedroom.

I keep telling myself that I'm not one of those crabby women who yell at kids to quiet down out there or call the police when you see flashes of fire whizz by your window but c'mon...let's have a small amount of courtesy for the working world.

Needless to say they spent a lot of money at the fireworks store and I'm sure this is just a start to a weekend of great booms and air conditioned evenings.

I enjoy watching professional fireworks. Although the last few years it's been one of those things I've tried not to dwell on because typically at the city displays it's hard not to dwell on the fact that most everyone has someone and much like weddings and picnics and reunions...I just find it more depressing than joyful. But maybe that's just more a reflection of where my own heart is rather than the fun my friends try and make it.

Bless my friends, they still have fun and continue to ask me to participate, even during my melancholy moments.

No comments: