6/9/08

You don't really expect someplace you know and have lived to be flooded, however two years in a row - first Winona and now the Dells area have been hit by terrible floods. Not sure if you've heard about this devastation however besides trees being down and houses ruined, one of the dams that made Lake Delton - home of Tommy Bartlett Watershow and the Original Wisconsin Ducks has broken and essentially the 240+ acre lake is completely gone. Granted Lake Delton wasn't God's creation but rather a man made lake but it was the livelihood of most of Lake Delton. Fishing Resorts, Boating, the watershow...just terrible. (Although Pete says Tommy Bartlett could just charge admission to mudwrestling now...and probably someone will find a way to capitalize on this tragedy. I'm sure. It is the dells afterall...if they can sell 1,000s of plastic ashtrays with the words Wisconsin Dells stamped on it I'm sure they can figure out a way to sell this.


For those of you who went to Pete and Sara's wedding. Remember the road we took to get from the dells to Baraboo? This is a picture of it today.

Pete says that there are some towns that are completely underwater including this really great restaurant in LaValle.

Downtown Reedsburg is underwater.

There's not much to these small towns maybe a restaurant, five or six bars and maybe a church and most of the townspeople don't have flood insurance.




Current view of Lake Delton:
















(for perspective) Previous view of lake delton:












It's one of these situations that make wonder about the power of God. I pray for the safety of all of our neighbors because I hear that Winona and Iowa and Indiana and Michigan and Nebraska all got hit pretty hard with this terrible weather.

_____________

On a lighter note our intern did bring in the Zongzi which wasn't terrible but I can't say I could eat a whole plateful. Kind of a sticky lump of rice with a couple of red beans and paste. It was sweet of her to think of us and share her culture. She also rather nicely brought in some coconut cookies for a birthday gift for me.

Here's a photo of what the Zongzi look like:

No comments: