Those of you who do a lot of printing and proofing may relate.
I have this pretty decent printer that we sometimes use. So today he was nice enough to send me the overrun of a pretty big project that I have due to ship to Denver by the end of the week.
I finished the file and couriered it to him late on Friday and we proofed this a.m. so it's been a rather quick turnaround. I typically like to have one more set of eyes looking at proofs however my friend Angie is up at a trade show in Canada this week and my new manager Kari was at R&D. I know you say to yourself...self...why not pick one of the other five people on the floor and well...I just didn't.
So you can see where this may be going...but wait...
So I opened the overrun envelope at 4:42 p.m. knowing full well that we were shipping tonight and surely that wasn't a mistake was it? Booth 421 or Booth 241? Which was it?
I panic first and researched later...quickly called Tom at the print shop and told him to "hold the presses" Okay so it was obviously a little late for that. But don't you just envision this story a whole lot better with me saying that? I told him to at least hold off the fed ex shipment until I figured out whether I was insane.
And in the meantime, remember all of those boxes that are sitting on our own dock - were they all labeled wrong? 241...421
Anyhow, there is a happy ending to this story and that is that yes, I had actually printed the correct booth number on the printed literature and didn't have to pay thousands of dollars to reprint AND I was able to relabel all the pallets of boxes I was shipping out tomorrow with the correct labels.
Who needed the reminder that I can't do it all by myself?
I have hope for a better day tomorrow.
We took our intern out to lunch today. She seems really nice. Kind of shy and very quiet. Large contrast from the boisterous Eve who was our intern last year, who conincidently has been hired to start working full time with us at the end of July.
Junwah comes from China. It should make for an interesting summer.
We have this debate going with a few of my co-workers. One of them insists that the reason why they are opening up new lunch places in the st. paul skyway system is to prep for the republican national convention (we've recently seen potbelly sandwich shop as well as a chinese take out place open up and there's a new tea shop opening too that supposedly is only going to serve tea, bubble teas and gourmet cheesecake. Random eclectic choice for a storefront however it's great for those of us who forget to bring lunch every day. ) I think it's rather too soon to say that it's only because of the convention that they are opening. However I concede that she may have a point.
Which reminds me, I should really make some plans to be out of town that week. Our business is located only about 3 blocks from where the convention is being held, which will probably mean nightmares of streets being closed off and possible overrun of protestors, although I've heard that they've already pre-assigned areas for protesting. Then too every time President Bush drives anywhere the police have to block the streets and in St. Paul there aren't that many streets to block without causing a major interference in my travel.
It's early to be complaining and I surely like thinking about the RNC rather than listening to the Democrats continuing to fight over super delegates. I wonder if Denver will be starting a similar building of infrastructure of new restaurants and road beautification? I guess I'll see firsthand one week from Thursday.
No comments:
Post a Comment