5/21/08

Um, not that I really condone this behavior as an adult however I'm trying to figure out a phenomonon here in Minnesota that I just don't get.

In high school, particularly in the fall right around halloween and Regional Swim Meet, the swimmers would all gather late the night before regionals and teepee the swimming participants houses with a sign that said congratulations and a "gift" of toilet paper. (actually I remember my mom not necessarily being a huge fan but also adjusting the tp to make it flap in the wind a bit better.)

It wasn't malicious intent but rather a celebration of sorts. A right of passage that screams to the neighborhood that you were about to try for something great (or merely try not to drown in the events the next day.)
And if we did it correctly it looked like this.
Which is why I just don't understand the toiletpaper on wet streets? I've seen it at our Research & Development facility at the cub foods parking lot in Woodbury and today in driving home it is along our blocks. There's a sort of design/pattern and it looks kind of complicated and I'm just baffled as to why people think this is a cool thing? Of course I'm sure now that I think about it, toilet paper in trees is a similar sort of quandry although I will admit that the artistry of a tree with a whole lot of toilet paper hanging from it is just sort of more artistic. And yep, I'm not for destruction per say and it is a waste (really sincerely pun intended)
I'm going to try googling it but if anyone has a good explanation of the whole ground cover toilet paper phenomenon, please enlighten me.


No comments: