Happy Mom's Day! My mom is somewhere in the Swiss Alps and I did hear from Jerry that all is well and she hasn't pushed dad off the mountain yet, so that is great news. (I warned dad to pack a parachute at all times, just in case.)
I know people probably won't agree with me on this, however I just got back from lunch at a popular restaurant where the hostess pretty much insisted I take a flower. Just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I need a flower for mother's day. I know I should just look at the gesture as a kind thing, a celebration of the possiblity of being a mom maybe someday. But for the mom's that really are to be celebrated, I kind of feel like a fraud, like celebrating your birthday a whole five months early.
(And I understood why every woman got a flower in celebration of Godly women day today however before it was explained it was a tad awkward too.)
I'm one of those people who kind of begrudge hallmark these holidays anyhow. (Sorry Steve)
Do we really need one day to celebrate moms or can it be done a different way? I feel the same thing about Nurse's Day, Administrative Professional's Day, Sweetest Day, Valentines Day and I have felt that way even when I was an Administrative Professional and I had a Valentine. It just seems like the sentiment is a whole lot forced when it's something you do because a date is on the calendar and I would rather just be a bit more spontaneous with my celebrations of like and love.
That said, I hope if you did celebrate the day that you had fun. To my friends who are mom's I'll say that every day I am more amazed at what sacrifices you make for your families and the love you shine on your children. I love your kids, and I love you even more. (oh and if you have three minutes play the video in the side navigation bar...I found it amusing. (Anita Renfroe is a christian comic that has performed at the Women of Faith seminars I've attended.)
No comments:
Post a Comment