4/12/08

When we were kids Saturdays were a big evening in our household. We'd turn on channel 26 and Polka Party at 6:30 (seriously, think Soul Train for the German/Polish population with typically an ohm-pa-pa band and bedecked polka dancers) anyhow we'd push the couches aside and attempt to polka. (It may be the reason why to this day I still don't know how to dance...or as my dad tells me, I just need to let him lead.)

Anyhow, besides Polka Party, we'd all rush through our baths, pop orville redinbocker popcorn in this ridiculously loud air-popper (you know the type whose hot air melts the butter in the special compartments in the top?) and wait for the special show we were able to watch. Most of the time it was Love Boat. But once a year it was even more special - the Miss America pageant. We'd pick our candidates, mathematically keep score and at the end try and guess the winner for no other purpose but to stay up really really really late on a saturday night.

So last night I was flipping channels and noticed the Miss USA pageant. Now I'm just a tad baffled. Did we really need another televised pageant? Didn't Miss America move to cable because of poor ratings? And apparently Miss USA funnels into Miss Universe, but doesn't showcase a talent competition? What happens to Miss America...I thought she used to go on to vie for the crown of Miss Universe? Hmmmm...I tried googling it but just really only got so far as to realize the one for those of us who don't have cable tv is more of a lark put on by Donald Trump and Catalina Swimwear.

Of course, ever since seeing the movie Miss Congeniality the whole thing just kind of makes me laugh.

No comments: