This is from an excerpt from an actual memo I received today: I'll leave in the highlighting because I find it humorous.
Europe will change from winter to summer time on Sunday, 30th March meaning that clocks will be turned forward one hour. (At 2 a.m. you switch to 3 a.m.)
(There's more than a few things wrong about that sentence however we humor the Europeans in our group into thinking summer really starts at the end of march and that one of our highly paid engineers really didn't know that turning your clock forward one hour means that if it's 2 a.m. you would turn your clock to 3 a.m.) Although maybe they were really trying to explain it to us stupid amercians? Hmmm...probably. Anyhow, the memo continued:
The U.S. is three weeks ahead, on Sunday, 9th March. This means that for three weeks the difference between Europe (w/o UK) and St. Paul will be six hours instead of seven. For UK it should then be five hours instead of six. Please make sure you consider that for appointments with the U.S. for this time period in order to avoid confusions.
Just reading that last sentence makes me confused...Not that I really have regular meetings with Europe, UK and Australia on a fairly regular basis, however I know people who do and we also have offices in indiana and arizona who don't participate in daylight savings time so pretty much it is a crapshoot.
Which is why I have adopted the philosophy of not really caring what time it is for everyone else...but what time is it for me. I always just tell them what time it is in St. Paul and let them figure out what time that means for them, because, after all, it's all about me, right?
Sincerely, I don't complain in the fall because I love love love the whole fall back concept and in particular the whole gain an extra hour of sleep...the whole spring ahead thing just really bites every spring.
Do you think God just shakes his head at us silly humans at the idea that we can control time?
No comments:
Post a Comment