
I continue the tradition of celebrating family birthdays via the blog. Not merely because I've been traveling around town with Pete's birthday card on the front seat of my car for the entire weekend and completely blanked to mail it until tonight but because I just find it fun to share with the world my thoughts on my family members...so even if you won't particularly like it...here it is, brother dear.... (he's the one on the left...)
It dawns on me pretty much every time I see pete holding Emily that my little brother isn't so little anymore and it's amazing to me how much love he shows both Sara and little emily. It's not that I've not experienced love from him on my own...it's just that it's such a different type of love that he has for his wife and child and I admire that.
My little brother is brilliant with tools. He is an auto body technician and I can tell he takes great pride in his work. He can't be easy contorting mangled metal back into car shapes, but he does it amazingly.
I know that he and I haven't always had the best relationship. I recognize as I've gotten older how unfair it might have been to grow up in the shadow of the twins. But I think that's what I admire about him too...he stood on his own.
He overcame learning disabilities. He learned to use his mechanical aptitude to pursue education in his own way. I still remember he had to have been three or four and mom left him playing with a screwdriver or something near the screen door in our kitchen and somehow he figured out how to get the door completely off it's hinge.
He liked cookie monster while the rest of us we were stuck on grover. (I never did understand his love of tweety though...)
He was always very straightforward with his names of things like stuffed animals...mutt, froggy pillow...I'm sure you get the picture.)
He was always pretty adventurous...why ride a regular bicycle when a mini-bike can go much faster?
He had a great relationship with Oma Strelau. (Maybe it was because he was the youngest grandchild and Oma enjoyed doing things like cooking him hotdogs and hungry jack instant mashed potatoes? He had discerning culinary tastes way back then.)
He hated vegatables. To this day he still does not eat tomatoes.
He loves hot sauce...on anything.
I've admired his relationship with dad. They talk their own language. I like the fact that he takes time to check in with dad. Even if it's a few seconds it still is cool. I know he worries about him and I know too he has made sacrifices to help.
So - on this 34th year of being my brother...Happy Birthday, Pete. I hope this next year brings you immeasurable joy, good health and love.
No comments:
Post a Comment