Thankful. I am.
I intentionally did not make plans today. I am thankful to the many people who invited me into their lives to share the day and eat. I don't even really know why I did not want to accept the invitation. In the beginning I think it was because there are times when even in a group like that you only realize how alone you really are and instead of being grateful for the friends you treasure you sort of dwell on a selfish want for what they have.
I am thankful for my family. For each of them brings immeasurably joy to know that I belong somewhere and am loved by a whole bunch of someones.
I am thankful for God. For the grace I don't pretend to understand and the power He has to create everything. I was watching a few things today which reminded me that everyone is given the gift of His love, it's the opportunity to share His love with others that we choose to use or not. I also watched Evan Almighty which was a pretty decent movie. But the thought that struck me was...how often do I ignore the hard stuff I'm feeling God's pulling me to do because I'm more worried about other things. Or even...what if God would ask me to build an ark. There's no way I'd be faithful to that. I know my carpentry skills are rusty and I've proven I'm not good with power tools. See three excuses and He didn't even ask. Think about what He is asking. How does that translate to what I'm willing to do.
I usually share the prayer at our thanksgiving table. This year I prayed by myself...I also read this from Ephesians: "When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father, the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think."
Happy Thanksgiving.
No comments:
Post a Comment