11/21/07

Movie Review: Dan In Real Life

I've been wanting to see this movie for awhile and after having a rough couple of days at work I decided to leave work early and head to a matinée. There were only two other people in the theater with me so it was like having our very own private showing...luckily the other person showed up or it would have been me and this random other guy sitting five rows in front of me...which was eerily quiet...it's amazing how adding just one more person to the mix makes it seem a whole lot less awkward. Particularly as this guy was odd. He sat down exactly in the center of the row exactly five rows in front of me and proceeded to pull up his hood...kind of like you would if you were cold...or trying to be a gangster. Yep, that's probably what he was...some felon on the run who didn't want to be recognized. He didn't even stay for the whole movie either.

Previews: there's a movie coming out called the bucket list by Rob Reiner that looks pretty decent. Even though it stars Jack Nicholson and he kind of bugs me as he really only has one character that he plays lately which is older man who is a knowitall crummy person who learns about life along the way. It also stars morgan freeman and sean hayes and rob morrow both of whom I really like not only as actors but as nice men to look at. It's about two terminally ill men who meet in the cancer ward and decide to leave the hospital and go do all of the things that are on their bucket lists. As in before you kick the bucket, what is it you want to do and how do you joyfully do it.

That was the only preview worth mentioning...the others were National Treasure (which probably is a rentable one) and Enchanted...which seriously does not thrill me and I LOVE CINDERELLA...

As for Dan In Real Life. I liked it. Typical romantic scenario. Ah to have a family that enjoys playing as much as they do. Not that it would get old after a while but I think it's neat to want to get together for a weekend and want to do more than just sit on the couch and watch tv together and the more operative word....enjoy it. The plot's been sort of done before...man and woman meet...man gets to parents house and realizes the woman is his brother's girlfriend. I thought Steve Carell did a good job of not overplaying his part. It was one of those movies that you just kind of feel your way through and when he played the guitar during the family talent show I felt kind of sad for him. I didn't exactly feel the spark between he and juliette binoche's character however I left there so wanting to just go wander a bookstore looking for a loney widower.

So I wandered Target. Sad to report that I did not find a widower. Did find toothpaste, some lightbulbs, bathroom cleaner and a book instead.

No comments: