11/2/07

I didn't get quite the early start as I had hoped on my Friday leaving the Twin Cities around 10:30. The drive to Osseo, WI went amazingly fast. I attempted a new way of keeping myself occupied and really decided to just soak up the countryside while driving without any music. It's interesting the things you notice - the number of birds sitting on a fencepost, the different paint paths on the highway. Okay...so really I lasted until about Knapp, WI before I had to turn on the radio or something but at least I tried.

I stopped in Osseo for what I will call dinner/breakfast/lunch as I didn't have dinner Thursday night and skipped breakfast in lieu of packing and trying to get my car cleaned out. I stopped at the Norske Nook. Anyone ever eat there?

It's a tad small as far as seating is concerned...rather unassuming decor of some swedish design and a huge pie display which was the best advertising ever.

I sat at the counter. I like to do this not only to observe the wait staff but also see first hand the multitude of other stuff going by. I ordered swedish meatballs and potatoes with a slice of the most delicious custard/banana pie I've had in a long time. And the best part...it was under $10.00

I arrived in the Wisconsin Dells by around 2:30 met Jerry at the Ramada Inn where we were staying.

Why the Ramada Inn? Well, mostly because of budget. All of the hotels in the dells are way overpriced and while Jer and I had discussed the possibility of doing a waterpark/hotel combo, when we saw that it was well over $180 for a room a night we decided to go the budget route.

What we got was an unassuming room which was okay...decent beds, tv with a few cable stations and a shower with adequate water pressure...and a pool with a hot tub AND free waffle breakfasts.

So we decided to head to the Outlet Mall across the street just to "waste some time" as Pete and Sara didn't get off work until after 5. We just wandered the mall and then wandered through both The Great Wolf or Black Wolf or whatever they call themselves and Chula Vista Resorts to see what we were missing and the general consensus is that at $300 a night the Great Wolf is kind of a rip off and that Chula Vista has made siginificant improvements since we stayed there at Pete and Sara's wedding.

So having wasted about two hours we headed to Pete and Sara's house and went to dinner.

Dinner was at MooseJaw Lodge. I had a great piece of baked Cod with homemade potato chips and coleslaw. Pete and Sara split a pizza and Jerry had a rather small chicken sandwich. Pretty decent food...a little touristy/pricey. But Pete paid so I wasn't complaining.

After that we headed back home and I had the chance to feed Em her bottle and rock her to sleep. That has to be the best feeling in the whole wide world...that moment when the child stop squirming and just sinks into you like you are all the support they need. I probably could have rocked her all night but it was after 9 and it was time to head back to the hotel.

The other nice part was that from 9:30 - 11 the pool was adults only. And completely empty so it was like having your very own private pool and whirlpool. Not too bad for $79.00 a night.

No comments: