11/1/07

Talked to my mom this evening. Sounds like my uncle Al (who has been suffering terribly with Parkinson's Disease for the last year) may not have much more than a couple of days to live.

I really just fluctuate between wanting to know how long dad might have to feeling rather angry that doctors can tell people they may only have a couple more days to live. Yes, it's great to prepare and get your house in order but it just frustrates me that it takes a terrible tragedy to start the process.

I know it's a whole lot different to prepare to say goodbye to someone you love and cannot imagine being here on this earth without them. I have no idea how I will do this with my own father. But with Uncle Al it's kind of been a different scenario.
When people are suffering though you kind of get to a point where you just want their pain to go away. You've kind of said goodbye to the person a long time ago. I don't want to remember the sarcastic rather mean-spirited man the pain caused him to be. I'd rather remember him as the man who always had the mini kit kats on top of his frige for when we came to visit.

The problem is, and this is going to sound really super selfish of me, I kind of hope he waits to die until Monday. The family is in such a turmoil with so many grief stricken, depressing things this week that one more thing might just throw a whole other tailspin on an already dizzy life.

I'm ready to just go stick my head in the sand and not come out until the weekend. is over.

No comments: