10/22/07

I was wandering yahoo news tonight after posting my first monday-sort-of-whiney blogpost and happened across a story about Paul McCartney in Paris. He was talking about his newish album "Memory Almost Full," launched by coffee retailer Starbucks and concord Music group.

"The business was changing, everything was changing," said McCartney in the article "I started to think that the record companies didn't know how to deal with it and they were getting boring and jaded."

I love the name of the album and his explanation too.

First - how true that is. I think about my almost 38 years of memories and wonder whether there be enough room to remember those small things that just seemed so significant in my 20's and whether I'll be racking my brain my 40s to even bother to remember the name of my third grade crush or the moment I knew I didn't really love the "love of my life". What will I bother to remember...it will probably be so earth shatteringly significant like all the words to the theme song to the Jetsons rather than something really important like the birthdates of all of my friends children. (which I've already forgotten most of them this year anyhow so the cycle is already starting....sung to the tune of Meet George Jetson...his boy Elroy...daughter Judy...)

The other thing I found kind of cool about the article is his nonchalance about breaking off with his record company and tossing his hat into the ring with Starbucks Music venture. Now granted, I'm not so enamored with the idea that Starbucks really needed to expand their coffee empire into music AND I've not exactly been the greatest fan of (gasp) the Beatles or Paul McCartney HOWever I might actually wander to the site to hear the album just for the sheer artistic whimsy it took to toss his hat into the new venture.

1 comment:

Tina said...

I just went to the hear music site off starbucks.com and I know I will never really understand the mystery that is McCartney and that man needs to clear some space from his memory so there's room for some sort of lyric to bounce around in there. Granted I only heard the less than 15-second version of the song but I couldn't imagine listening to more than that without truly erasing it from my memory. Maybe it's an English thing...like the English actors I can't understand a "bloody" thing they are saying in movies...maybe I don't truly see the vision that is his artistry.