Big Church.
Today was WLC's "sending" of the Alley. I wonder what went through the minds of others during this process? WLC has two different sanctuaries and different sets of worship styles. Nothing wrong about it, in fact, it was one of the things that attracted me to the church 7 years ago. We didn't stay for the entire service in the large sanctuary however the small part that I did stand through made me realize how long it had been since I'd been to a traditional Lutheran service.
Now I'm not one of those staunchly against ritual types of people. I know I'm not saying anything any of you probably haven't already figured out. I used to know all of the service orders of the red hymnal by heart. There is something even now rather familiar and nostalgic about sitting through an order of worship.
I guess the thing that triggered these thoughts was the fact that I no longer remember the words to the Nicene Creed. As I listened to the others chant it I think I realized that I do believe everything in the creed but in the last five years I haven't really taken the time to verbalize what I believe out loud - to personalize the creed that I believe.
It's easy to compare and contrast contemporary vs. traditional church. I'm not going to go there because I think it's more important for people to live what they believe and they can be filled just as easily with the Holy Spirit from any sort of worship if the spirit is present.
I looked out over the Big Church congregation and realized that I knew a lot of people who prefer to attend that service. I saw friends from my small group and the guy I've had a crush on for a few years.
I'm not sure I can capture how fun is it to be turning to the next page in this manuscript that God is fashioning for my life. It's been a great intersection of our lives. Some friends will remain but others will merely be added to the characters I carry with me and will eventually turn into those people I once knew, those un-regrettable chances I didn't take...That's life.
No comments:
Post a Comment