6/2/07

Yep, staying off the computer didn't quite work today. Problem was various chores around here and as I still haven't convinced my landlord that a dishwasher would be an excellent and environmentally friendly addition to our kitchens, I just had to buck up and wash and put away the dishes. I've hated washing dishes since the beginning of time. Also a few loads of laundry and a pile of bills to pay and well...the computer just beconed and it was either that or a few rounds of Playstation 2...and well...I knew of the two, the computer was only a short term distraction - Playstation could suck me in for the rest of the afternoon.

I did get a notice the other day that they are raising the rents here with promises of large improvements to our apartment buildings. Kitchen upgrades apparently did not make the list but I did have a talk with Shellie our building manager and she let me in on the scoop of why we need to sign a new year lease and the improvements on the list get my wholehearted approval.

They are re-doing our balconies. I've needed a new balcony for all of the eight years I've been here. The wrought-iron is rusty and the wood is either in need of some new outdoor carpeting or a paint job. But apparently too the balconies do not meet the current code requirements of the newport city council so they are redoing them. (making them bigger) I do wonder if they will also extend the roof on our upper balconies...that would be sweet. Currently my balcony doesn't have a roof and it gets sun all day long. Shellie said that they will be making them of some sort of non-wood material...should be interesting to see if it even gets done as it's taken them almost a year and a half to paint four hallways. (Which Shellie claims is just because the owner paid his son or nephew to do it instead of paying a professional.)

They are also re-doing the porch doors, which will be nice as my doors have been sort of broken and held together by a large 2 x 4 since the day I moved in. It works for me and is fairly secure but it would be nice to not have to jimmy the door closed.

They are also resurfacing the parking lots and redoing the roof. All this for the low low price of $20 more a month.

I've contemplated if this is the year I buck up and buy a townhouse but truthfully I think I need another year to try and establish some more savings, buy a newer car and hope housing prices stay the same or maybe go down.

I know it's insanity to continue to rent but when rent is only $600 a month, without taxes or very many utilities or association fees, I just have it pretty lucky. Also my apartment compared to most apartment standards is fairly large and it's been fairly quiet and safe here in the neighborhood cul de sac setting. If only I could get gregory to buck up and buy a dishwasher, then this place would be darn near perfect except for the fact that I'm closing in quickly on 40 and haven't built a stitch of equity. Ah well..back to the chores that beckon so I can play tomorrow.

No comments: