Someone complained to me today that they thought summer was almost over. I quickly looked at the calendar and confirmed it was only June 1st. I do understand what they mean. But I'm kind of optimistic, I kind of want to hang on to the hope that this summer won't fly by like the rest of the summers in the last 15 years since graduating from college.
Remember when this next week seemed like it would never end and June 8th or 9th would roll around and mark the very last day of school and the first day of SWEET FREEDOM. Bike Riding, summer swim team, going to the park, hanging at the pool, going to the Dells, hanging at the pool - I spent A LOT of time at Pioneer Park Pool.
Wouldn't it be great to get paid enough that the whole country could just take three months off and just hang with their families?
I got an e-mail from some friends who co-pastor a church near Philadelphia. They are going on sabbatical for three months this summer. They are packing up their kids and travelling. They sent an e-mail to their entire e-mail list that they would not be reading or checking their e-mail for the entire three months. The e-mails would just be deleted. They sent an address that we could communicate through in case of an emergency.
I thought of the idea of a sabbatical. Or even sabbath. I've gotten so connected with e-mail and checking in, that even when I take a day off it just takes every ounce of my being to not check e-mail a few times a day and since I have a habit of checking both work and home e-mail accounts I typically get sucked into both. I need to work on that. Maybe challenge myself to go all day tomorrow without turning on my computer. Yep, that's what I'm going to do. I'll report sunday how that works. Have a great weekend :)
1 comment:
Try it, you'll like it. When I take a day off I have learned to take a day off. Remember no one died because they didn't get a box of laundry detergent. K????
Post a Comment