Wanted: someone who actually knows something about computers to answer our help desk phones at work. Must be somewhat patient, willing to not give tired, overworked marketing communication professionals a hard time at 10:00 at night when her computer has magically disconnected from the server about five crucial times.
Wanted: someone in our IT department to actually communicate with the employees of the company when they plan to do regular maintenance on our servers. Must be able to turn on a computer, open outlook and send an e-mail. Or better yet, fix their over-engineered website Express and post a sentence explaining that they will be working on servers after 7 p.m. and people who might want to work late because their in box is overwhelmingly full this week might just want to plan a different day to work or move stuff to their local drive.
So while I was waiting for a huge project to print this lunch hour I was wandering yahoo and a few things caught my eye.
The European Space community is seeking applicants for a Mission to Mars. Ultimately you will need to be able to be in a confined space with russians and a few other people who probably don't speak english for 17 months. Communicating with the European Space agency will be time delayed by 40 minutes and all this to simulate what it would be like on a real mission to mars. Apparently it takes about 240 days to get to mars, 30 days to do experiments and another 240 days to come back. They are just testing to see if they can find people mentally and physically stable enough to endure that sort of mission. They claim it might be kind of boring. And while I don't have a scientific-minded bone in my body, the idea of doing nothing for a while is interesting until I saw how much they are getting paid....which is a little under $55,000...that's a lot of money for doing nothing for a year...you get to see someplace new, that not many people have seen before...
Of course then I think about the movie Armageddon and somehow the idea that I might be able to answer whether there truly are martians just really doesn't make the money or the time worth it.
Don't really remember what the other thing was...so I guess I'd better get packing.
No comments:
Post a Comment