Driving along I-90/94 from the Dells to MN gives a person a lot of time to ponder and just look at things. Here are some more observations from my trip:
It always amazes me that Wisconsin has not perfected the asphalt creating business with as much construction as is always somewhere on any trip I've taken since the early 1970's.
I rather appreciate that they now use 1,000's of the flimsy orange flags to keep the oncoming traffic from veering into my lane. I was never a big fan of the huge orange pylons and the cement walls with just enough space to fit a buick always made me a bit nuts. HOWEVER, you can't tell me that this is the perfect medium between nothing and madmax beyond thunderdome?
I was actually passed by a woman from Alaska driving a delorean. I wonder what she feels when she's driving that car? I know when I drive my buick I feel somewhat older (mostly because the only people I know who drive buicks are about 70 years old) and while I'm happy that my car is somewhat working (although dang it if I don't have to bring it in to Mastertech to have them look at my back tire on Tuesday) I'd still like to be driving a car that is more reflective of the way I really think I am.
Speaking about being passed, there was this silver mustang with wisconsin license plate buddar (which made me ponder whether he was a butter king, some sort of dairy industry rep) anyhow he must have blown by me doing at least 90 but not before riding my bumper for about 5 minutes. And not more than a half an hour and a rest stop later I saw him pulled over by a state trooper. I know it's a tad evil to wish ill on a fellow driver but seriously, sometimes it irritates me when people don't have the courtesy to respect drivers who keep to the right.
There was a massive take down of some poor man's truck in Eau Claire - three squad cars and they were shaking out some guns and whatnot as I passed. Can you imagine just returning from a harmless camping and hunting trip and getting swarmed by a four or five Wisconsin State Troopers.
What do people do in the middle of nowhere? When all they have is a Kwik Trip and an Adult Movie Superstore (and really, I just can't understand how all of those keep in business...I could see one or two every other town but there appears to be one at every exit between Tomah and Eau Claire and I can't imagine based on the number of farms and cows that I saw that there are that many people...besides truckers? partaking in their wares.)
I always do an einie meanie miney mo about two miles before the great 90 / 94 choice...do I go the "long way home" scenic route through winona...do I scurry the 94 through Eau Claire or attempt a new journey through rochester.
I typically pick the 94 fast-track however it still doesn't stop me from doing it every time I drive.
No comments:
Post a Comment