2/4/07

Restaurant Review: The Woodbury Cafe. They advertise that they have the world's best breakfast and since I AM a breakfast expert I decided to go after church this a.m.

They were relatively crowded (mostly they need a bigger lobby area) and nice attentive hosts asked if you wanted something to drink while you wait which I thought was a nice touch. After waiting about ten minutes a seat opened up at the counter so I was given that. WHich I must say was an ideal place to sit to get a feel for what the food looked like as the cook and prep station was right there, pretty much out in the open.

Oh - I had to laugh...the owner or manager was going on and on about how great their oj was and how the woman next to me couldn't miss it. As I watched her, she pulled a jug of Tropicana Pure Premium - yep the same stuff my mom buys at the Jewel and poured her a glass. It's not anything that special...sure it's good orange juice but you didn't squeeze the oranges yourself so get over it. I was chuckling...not bad marketing because I was tempted to order a glass myself but SERIOUSLY!!! And actually having done an extensive oj study I actually like Florida's Natural better than Tropicana. I'm also a big fan of Sunny D - I know it's probably mostly sugar since it is a citrus drink instead of truly oj but hey...as a girl who grew up overmixing Tang in a glass I guess I'm not that fussy.

Before I get into what I saw I'll explain what I ordered. I had french toast zydeco style. (I think they are trying to be cajun...lots of andouie sausage on the menu) Anyhow that's just a fancy way of saying my fluffy pieces of french toast came covered in blueberries, banannas and pecans. They rebottle log cabin syrup (my favorite sugar syrup) I also had a hot chocolate and the total with tip was 12.00. A little steep for breakfast but I ended up taking half of it home. That's the thing I noticed about the menu is that they charge a $2.00 plate fee if you split a meal. Which makes them realize that their portion sizes are just a tad too large. They should offer half sizes.

They offer what looked to be yummy baked goods, as well as a big gloppy bowl of oatmeal with toast that looked remarkably tasty and I'm not that big of a fan of oatmeal. And eggs benedict (although none of the descriptions really sounded any better than what you could probably get at perkins.)

As for World Best Breakfast...not really. There so far have been two places I've eaten in the last couple of years that have been better....

Bread and Chocolate in Washington DC had the yummiest fruit crepes. And there's this new place near where my family lives called the Eggclectic Cafe that had a huge menu, really good prices and some really great pancakes. Also I guess if I'm honest, I really like the french toast at North Pole in Newport and IHOP has a few tasty things.... so nope...not World's Best. I think they could safely say better than most...but expensive. *** / 5

3 comments:

Mary said...

Have you tried the French Meadow Bakery and Cafe in Mpls? Not bad. And cheaper. Most likely not the world's best... but pretty good.

Your blog cracks me up!

Tina said...

Nope. Remember I'm your friend that only ventures to minneapolis when we have restaurant night. I should broaden my horizons but sincerely driving to minneapolis makes me nuts as I never can figure out where I am in relation to home.

Tina said...

p.s. I only just realized you had commented on this blog when I was archiving the other day. Thanks for being my first commentator :)