Jack FM was playing Brick in the Wall on the way home. One of the very first 45's I ever owned. Granted we bought it and mostly just jumped around shouting "WE DON'T NEED NO EDUCATION...da da da...da da. da. Hey teacher leave those kids alone." I'm pretty sure those were the only words we knew. I remember the other 45 we had was the j. giles band centerfold. I really don't think mom ever listened to the words on that song and truthfully we were clueless as to what a homeroom angel really was supposed to be. Yep, I am a product of the late 70's /early 90's. Boy a lot of things are starting to not exist anymore.
As I'm typing this I can look up and see the dual deck sony cassette player boombox I received from my parents as a high school graduation gift. The only place you can probably buy a cassette tape nowadays is a used bookstore or a few truckstops in wisconsin. (I know this because I stopped during the summer and contemplated buying a couple of tapes because my car radio also only plays cassettes.)
I own exactly 4 that still work...Amy Grant - Straight Ahead, Kenny Rogers The Gambler, an air check tape from KG and a misc. mix tape of driving tunes like the that Danger Zone song from Top Gun and Olivia Newton John's Hopeless Devoted to You. (Yep, I've got tastes they run a tad eclectic. Um maybe that should be BAD eclectic. When I drive home to Illinois I tend to SING LOUD and a whole lot offkey to try and keep myself awake from that section of road between about Eau Claire to the Dells - why not do it with a little variety?)
Oh that reminds me, I read in the news that the Dells is raizing the Wonder Spot so that now means that the very last relic of my childhood summers at the dells will be no longer...Storybook Gardens, Fort Dells, The Wonder Spot, and this little go-kart track. Wonder Spot was this, um spot...a gravitational "vortex" conveniently located only about a half-block off of Hwy 12. (Sarcasm intentional.) Its powers were strongest in The Wonder House, a clapboard shack (imagine a little bit bigger than an outhouse) "where the laws of natural gravity seem to be repealed. It was conveniently near Biblical Gardens and you could get a two for one-special.
Biblical Gardens was our "get out of sunday school free card" when we were kids, mom and dad would take us there, we'd have to wander through the plastic jesus statues and the walk of the ten commandements and wa-la that counted for "attendance" so we didn't miss getting our pins for sunday school. Yep, I lived a charmed life. Afterwards we'd head to the wonder spot and argue about who got to sit in the chair that defied gravity.
I guess the city of Lake Delton is building a frontage road right over the vortex. I wonder if the gravity thing will effect any of the cars?
No comments:
Post a Comment