In my youth I had this idea that being the activities director on a cruise ship might be fun. Of course I envision Lauren Tewes/Julie from the Love Boat as my inspiration. There are days (like today) that I really feel like that's part of who I've become, this person who oversees the projects on the floor making sure they are fun. Or maybe I'm a mix of the bartender (Ted? um Issac Washington?) that I'm worrying about whether we have the proper mix of fruit to garnish everyone's drink.
It's trade show season. Which in itself is a pretty insane time for me. Juggling whether everyone has hotel rooms, whether we have the right sort of giveaway what do the graphics look like and so on. It's part of the job that I enjoy however this year I'm not enjoying it. I think it's because I can't just toss aside the other things I'm doing and concentrate on it. That and things AREN'T working...I can't find a hotel in Orlando for one late registering German Eco-employee, I can't find the right stock photo (because heaven forbid we ever take any photos ourselves). Yep because I haven't had time to think I actually ordered twice the electricity we needed for the booth. Wouldn't that have been an electrifying experience.
On top of all this I get handed a project to decorate the conference rooms on our newly painted floor. Build trophy cases. I was told to form a committee and solicit ideas from the rest of the floor...many of whom could care less about whether we have two bottles of product in a display and well...I just thought it was funny that in Cruise Ship "Julie" style I had to put this out as a FUN floor activity - like we are making door decs for the dorm rooms again.
Bless Ryan for stopping by to say he's forming a committee to overthrow the decorating committee and just fill the trophy cases with his old baseball trophies that are still sitting in his parents garage in Rochester. Might not be too bad of an idea?
I think my plan of going to michael's and getting 10 -12 black poster frames and printing out our new literature and putting it alongside our current advertising might be as creative as I get with this. At times I really wonder if they realize that these little internal jobs take just as long as the external ones and I already have 30 or 40 of those I never get to start.
Alas, another eco-complaining blog...but I couldn't sleep without getting this off my chest.
Hmmmm maybe I'm more like Dougie Houser on his evening rants on his computer?
Anyhow...the thing I find so interesting about blogdom is how people seemingly link from blog to blog and you just find nuggets of their ramblings so interesting that you follow the same path, sometimes daily, linking from blog to blog and eventually it unfolds this slightly skewed picture of who you read this person to be from their slightly long run-on sentences and random thoughts that pop on to the screen. (Figured I'd spare you and finally end that sentence.) Eventually you find people you know (kind of like that kevin bacon game that was so popular a few years ago where you try and link any star to kevin bacon)
I also find it really interesting how several of my bloggin acquaintances have blogging only friends - people they've met through the world of blog and suddenly they are planning to vacation in florida and "look them up". Which to me is somewhat terrifying...but then again it is an interesting way to meet someone - look into their ramblings first and THEN determine if they are interesting enough for a face to face meeting.
No comments:
Post a Comment