8/4/13

Red Box Review: The King's Speech

I've always been interested in the spoken word.  Maybe it stems from my years on speech team. Or maybe it's because i enjoy listening to words, reading them or maybe it's just because communicating has always been important to me.  (I've been told sometimes that I can't shut up and that even in these notes or on my blog that I write too much and who really cares anyhow...)
But what if you had an impediment that made you feel inferior and you knew that you needed to lead your country into a wartime.  You needed to be confident but just didn't have confidence you knew how to do that.

Enter a stranger who becomes a friend and together you craft a story that allows itself to reach into the corners of your confidence and pull itself up by it's bootstraps.

That's the story of the King's Speech, I think.  I'll admit it was a little slow of a movie for me and I started multitasking so maybe I didn't catch the whole storyline.

What I did catch is a story that does deserve the accolades it was given during this last oscar season.  I can see why Collin Firth won the oscar.  Nearer to the end I was pulled in and stopped doing anything else and actually concentrated on the movie.  It would be great if some time when our confidence is dragging that we could find a faithful friend to believe in us like Geoffrey Rush's character.

I'll admit again that I have issues with accents in movies.  This wasn't so bad - not as thick a brogue as it could have been.

I will say that at the very beginning and at the very end of the movie they have text on the screen.  I have pretty decent eyesight but could not read it without getting really super close to the screen.  I guess the filmmakers considered it from the standpoint of a really large movie screen.  I'm not so interested in what it said, but it really bugs me when I feel old and unable to do something simple like read a screen.  Guess it's not as difficult as not being able to deliver a speech to your countrymen. I could have hit rewind or gotten up off my couch and move closer to the screen, but I really didn't care enough about what it said to bother.

three stars...it was okay and I'm glad I watched it but it was kind of slow.

No comments: