7/21/13
Camping
This past weekend I went camping for the first time since I was a teenager. Okay, so it wasn't the deep woods or a KOA but it was the yard of my Brother and Sister in Law's house and they do live in more of a countryfied setting and I have seen wildlife (wolves etc.) in their yard over the past year.
My brothers were both boy scouts and were always more of the camping types. We didn't really go camping as kids except for one time I did join my friend kim's family on a campout in tents at Kettle Morraine State park. I remember that trip as being fun. I always sort of envied my brothers that they got to go to boy scout camp. It just seemed so fun.
I guess as an adult I have a different perspective about camping. I think if I go again I would need to go with other people. We would need to have a campfire to sit around late at night and go hiking etc so that when you finally fall into your tent - you are so tired you don't have a whole lot of time to think.
You are after all merely constructing a piece of fabric into a shelter. It's not like it's really going to keep some stray wild animal from attacking you in the middle of the night.
The second night I was sleeping in the tent, some animal started scratching at the wall of the tent...I felt it's paw. It probably was a squirrel or a mouse but it somewhat freaked me out and yet, I was alone in the tent with my lantern and really I did not really want to find out what it was. Yep - that's why I'd want someone else with me...someone to say "did you hear/u that?"
I do so many things by myself...mostly because I have the theory that I can't just let life pass me by just because I haven't really established friendships or romantic relationship who would want to share time or adventures with me.
Chalk up camping as one thing I probably will not do again by myself...unless we are visiting the Strelau's at the dells and they have a full house. It was a good way to get some sleep without feeling like I was interrupting someone else with my terrible sleep patterns.
The tent - which I got several years ago as a free with establishing an account from a bank was good for one or possibly two people who really like each other. It was small and I'm not sure it really would survive a rainstorm but it was a good option for what I needed that weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment