Mom called the other night for the specific purpose to ask me "guess who I met garage saling the other day?" Now, if you know my mom or have followed the blog over the last few years, you may have heard me mention a time or two that mom was a greeter at our local Kmart store for years. She apparently took her job seriously and greeting and got to know hundreds of people. So much so that we typically can't go to a restaurant in about a 20 mile radius of our house, without running into someone my mom knows.
We live in a big town so it's not like everyone knows everyone either.
And so typically when she asks "guess who I met..." I typically humor her with some obscure name from my past and she says no and then I wait...
This time around she must have really wanted me to guess because she says: It's someone you know from sleepovers.
Um okay, that narrows the field to about an assortment of 10 or 15 people. It's not like I really went to a lot of sleepovers as a kid and well... the odds of mom running into those people are pretty slim.
Anyhow...it appears she ran into the mom of a friend Patty that I haven't seen or really talked to since grade school.
You know how junior high is, most grade school girls end up completely demolishing friendships over some stupid thing and well...I don't quite remember what happened to patty but somehow we just stopped being friends.
I guess that happens to friends. You burn bright as friends, are in and out of each others lives a lot, and suddenly a few weeks go by and you maybe don't see them as much, or think about them as much and eventually a year or ten go by and poof...like that, can you really say you are still friends? Or passing acquaintances?
Anyhow, I never really liked sleepovers, for the very reason that I still don't like them (or retreats, or staying over at other people's houses) I just don't like sleeping in strange beds or couches or futons or sleeping bags in the corner. Also I don't share rooms very well because of my insomniac tendencies.
So anyhow, mom and Patty's mom caught up over bargain hunting. Apparently Patricia now lives here somewhere on the other side of town (715) area code. And mom wanted to give me a heads up that the mom's exchanged phone numbers. I thought it was a great idea. I am rather enjoying catching up with old friends via facebook however, I doubt I will call any more than I'm sure Patricia will pick up the phone and dial our number.
No comments:
Post a Comment